Wehrmacht - Standard of Panzerabwehr Abteilung 37

This is one of the very few completely preserved Wehrmacht battalion standards, consisting of the shortened flagstaff, flag cloth, finial, flag streamer, and flag ring. The flag cloth is made of rose-colored silk, bordered all around with silver fringe made of aluminum thread. Dimensions approximately 51 x 69 cm. Both sides display the Iron Cross, with a hand-embroidered national eagle in an oak leaf wreath at the center, and a swastika in each of the four corners. The flag cloth is completely nailed to the flagstaff, with the nails and underlying silver braid also original. The shortened flagstaff is made of blackened oak. Below the flag cloth is the silver-plated flag ring engraved "Pz.Abw.Abt 37". The flag streamer is tied at the top, made of aluminum fabric with black/white/red trim on the sides and tassels at the ends. Both ends feature silver-plated banderoles with the national eagle, oak leaf frame, and the dates "16. März 1935" (the day of the proclamation of military sovereignty) and "16. März 1936" (the reintroduction of German conscription, the foundation day of troop standards). The aluminum finial bears the maker's mark ".. Kraas.." on the underside and is attached with screws on the side.
The battalion standard shows minor signs of use and is in very fine condition.
Complete Wehrmacht troop standards are extremely rare to find. A significant piece of museum quality.

Panzer-Abwehr-Abteilung 37 was established on October 15, 1935 in Mühlhausen, in Wehrkreis IV. The unit was formed through transfers from Panzer-Abwehr-Abteilung 3. After formation, the unit was subordinated to the 1. Panzer-Division. On October 6, 1936, the unit was redesignated Panzer-Abwehr-Abteilung 29. In exchange, the former Panzer-Abwehr-Abteilung 29 was redesignated Panzer-Abwehr-Abteilung 37. The unit was now temporarily stationed in Kassel, in Wehrkreis IX. In 1936, the unit provided personnel for the formation of Panzer-Abwehr-Abteilung 38. In 1937, the unit was permanently stationed in Eisenach, in Wehrkreis IX. The unit remained subordinated to the 1. Panzer-Division. Upon mobilization, the unit was reinforced to four companies by the 2nd Company of MG-Bataillon 59. On March 15, 1940, the 3rd Company was exchanged with the 1st Company of Panzerabwehr-Abteilung 27. On April 1, 1940, the unit was redesignated Panzerjäger-Abteilung 37.

As of April 30, 1939, the Wehrmacht was equipped with a total of 930 troop standards, of which 290 were infantry standards, 251 artillery standards, but only 115 for the armored and anti-tank troops; the Panzer regiments each had 3 battalion standards, the Panzerabwehr units each had 1 standard. Most troop standards were located at the end of the war in 1945 in the arsenal in Berlin, where they were captured by the Red Army and used for their victory parade in Red Square in Moscow. Most preserved Wehrmacht troop standards are today located in various military history museums in Russia, the USA, England, and Germany. Only very few pieces are in private collections; in over 35 years of business we have known of fewer than 10 complete standards in private hands.

496126

The Battalion Standard of Panzerabwehr-Abteilung 37 — A Rare Survivor of Wehrmacht Tradition

Among the rarest and most historically significant artifacts of the German armed forces in the twentieth century, the Truppenfahnen (unit colors) of the Wehrmacht occupy a uniquely important place. This Bataillonsstandarte (Battalion Standard) of Panzerabwehr-Abteilung 37 is one of the very few complete surviving examples in private hands. Over more than 35 years of specialist dealing, fewer than ten complete standards have been recorded in private collections, making this an object of genuine museum quality.

Origins: The Institution of Wehrmacht Truppenfahnen

On 16 March 1935, Adolf Hitler proclaimed the reintroduction of general conscription — a direct violation of the Treaty of Versailles and an act referred to as the “Verkündung der Wehrfreiheit” (Proclamation of Military Sovereignty). Exactly one year later, on 16 March 1936, Hitler decreed the institution of Truppenfahnen for the Wehrmacht, reviving a pre–World War I German military tradition that had been abandoned during the Reichswehr era. These two pivotal dates are inscribed on the silver-plated banderole plaques of every standard and form the symbolic cornerstone of the entire system.

Most Truppenfahnen were formally presented to their units during 1936–1937, and by 1939 all existing formations were assumed to have been fully equipped with their colors.

Classification System

The Wehrmacht employed two basic forms of unit colors. Fahnen (flags) were square and issued to non-motorized branches such as infantry, engineers, and mountain troops. Standarten (standards) featured a distinctive swallowtail form and were assigned to motorized and mounted formations — cavalry, artillery, armor, anti-tank, and signals units. As a motorized anti-tank battalion, Panzerabwehr-Abteilung 37 received a Standarte rather than a square Fahne.

Each branch of service was identified by its Waffenfarbe (branch color): pink (rosa) for armored and anti-tank troops, red for artillery, white for infantry, orange for cavalry, green for light infantry (Jäger), and black for engineers. The pink silk cloth of this standard immediately identifies it as belonging to the Panzer or Panzerabwehr arm.

Physical Description

This standard survives in remarkable completeness. The flag cloth of pink silk, measuring approximately 51 × 69 cm, is bordered by silver-colored fringes of aluminum thread. Both sides display a large Iron Cross with a hand-embroidered national eagle (Hoheitsadler) in an oak-leaf wreath at the center and a swastika in each of the four corners. The cloth is nailed to the shortened flagpole of blackened oak with original silver braid underneath the nails.

Below the cloth sits the silver-plated flag ring engraved “Pz.Abw.Abt 37”. The aluminum finial (Fahnenspitze) is side-screwed and bears a partially legible maker’s mark reading “Kraas” on its underside. The banderole, knotted at the top, is made of aluminum fabric edged in black, white, and red, terminating at each end in tassels. The silver-plated plaques at both ends display the Wehrmacht eagle in an oak-leaf frame with the dates “16. März 1935” and “16. März 1936”.

The Unit: Panzerabwehr-Abteilung 37

Panzerabwehr-Abteilung 37 was established on 15 October 1935 in Mühlhausen, Wehrkreis IV, formed from elements of Panzerabwehr-Abteilung 3. The battalion was assigned to the 1st Panzer Division. On 6 October 1936, a redesignation occurred: the unit was renamed Panzerabwehr-Abteilung 29, while the former Abteilung 29 took the designation 37. The newly numbered Abteilung 37 was initially garrisoned at Kassel (Wehrkreis IX) before being permanently stationed at Eisenach (Wehrkreis IX) in 1937. It continued to serve under the 1st Panzer Division.

In 1936 the unit provided cadres for the new Panzerabwehr-Abteilung 38. Upon mobilization, it was reinforced to four companies through the addition of the 2nd Company of MG-Bataillon 59. On 15 March 1940 its 3rd Company was exchanged with the 1st Company of Panzerabwehr-Abteilung 27. On 1 April 1940 the battalion was redesignated Panzerjäger-Abteilung 37.

Known commanders included Oberstleutnant Arthur Kopp (from formation to 26 August 1940), Major Manfred Kaundynia (August 1940 to 20 August 1941, killed in action), Hauptmann Paul Düllmann (August–September 1942), Hauptmann Heinrich Draeger (September 1942 to 15 July 1943), and Hauptmann Heinz Poeppl (15 July 1943 to 9 March 1944, severely wounded). The unit served with the 1st Panzer Division during the Polish, French, and Eastern Front campaigns.

Ceremonial Use

Wehrmacht Truppenfahnen were not carried in daily service. They were displayed only on specific ceremonial occasions: honor parades for the Führer, oath-taking ceremonies, and formal inspections. Motorized and armored units were permitted to mount their standards on vehicles. Beginning in February 1944, the Reichskriegsflagge replaced the Truppenfahne for oath ceremonies.

The Fate of the Standards

As of 30 April 1939, the Wehrmacht possessed a total of 930 Truppenfahnen: 290 for infantry, 251 for artillery, and only 115 for armored and anti-tank units. Panzer regiments held three battalion standards each, while each Panzerabwehr-Abteilung held one.

On 28 August 1944, Hitler ordered the withdrawal of all Truppenfahnen and their replacement by the Reichskriegsflagge to prevent their capture by the enemy. The standards were transferred to museums in Berlin (Zeughaus), Dresden, Munich, and Vienna. At war’s end, the Red Army captured hundreds of standards from the Berlin Zeughaus. On 24 June 1945, approximately 200 captured German standards — Wehrmacht and Waffen-SS — were paraded at the Victory Parade on Red Square in Moscow. Today, most surviving Truppenfahnen are held in military history museums in Russia, the United States, England, and Germany.

That this standard of Panzerabwehr-Abteilung 37 has survived complete with all its components — cloth, pole, finial, banderole, and flag ring — represents an extraordinary piece of military history and a collecting rarity of the highest order.

r